Friday, October 29, 2004

Hmm......am still a vegetarian

"What do you mean ur vegetarian? " squealed MikeI was like wot do u mean wot do u mean I am a vegetarian, period.""Are you one of those who eat chicken only or fish only vegetarians?" he askedI said " I am a pure vegetarian, do not even have eggs.."He blanched and could understand how there can be people like me....
He was standing near my cubicle which was located in the center of the floor, people have to pass through my cubicle to get around going outside/inside the office premises. He made such a fuss about the fact that I am a vegetarian that he called the other employees working in their respective cubicles.
Soon there was a group of people in my room asking me questions like. "So wot do u eat everyday?", "U dont even eat juicy burgers'? "how about well cooked meat"...blah blah..
I was very much amused that people can be so suprised that I dont eat meat. On the ensuing talk i found out that Mike is a hunter, he goes hunting every year near the Oklahoma woods. He particularly relishes hunting deers and wild pigs. He says they taste better if you hunt them and eat it. (So revolting!!)
Mary started telling her experiences about trying to stay vegetarian. She tried it hard for about a week and all she did was eat lots of salads, beans and rice. ( I was thinking about the variety I cook in my kitchen every day....)
"Thats so true" quipped Paul. "There is nothing to cook when you are a vegetarian. On the other hand I take so much care cooking my meat" I let it marinate and then cook it to perfection" While saying it itself his mouth was watering and he was explaining how he is the best barbecuer in town. He says "I dont like anything pink in my meat nor do i like traces of blood in them. That makes me so sick..."
Mike replies "For the way you go on you might as well be a Vegetarian like her" "wot a waste, burning a good meat in the name of cooking". We were all stunned hearing it. Mike explained proudly that he is in the top of the food chain and Paul is somewhere lost in the middle and I am still grazing in the bottom. He relishes eating raw meat and it does not affect him when we call him names like Cannibal and animal ....
So he started questioning me deeply.
"So why dont you eat any meat?" he asked. "Is it something to do with your religion"?"Yes it started out like that earlier but now its merely peoples choice and I choose to remain a vegetarian" I replied.
He was curiously persistent and asked me again "Why? Do u know what all things you are missing"
I was totally amazed. I told them "Hey guys you are the people who are missing so many things", "How different can meats be from each other"? "Do you know the different kinds of vegetables and lentils that are there that can be cooked more tastier and healthier than the meat'...
Ofcourse they didnt have the faintest idea wot i was talking about. So i told him the reason what my father told me when I was young and questioned him likewise. I told him "Meats contain the 'Vasanas' or tendencies of the animal you are consuming. And Invariable you tend to have them by way of consumption"
So he said " You mean I will have tendencies like that of a pig and cow" "Exactly, you would absorb all the negative aspects of those animals in your behaiour..." I said. He answered defensively " You guys drink milk from the cow, would that mean you are like a cow"I didnt know what to answer for that...So i said thats the beginning...You are the extreme...I tried to explain him how our ancient yogis practised their meditation with minimal amountof food food have a major impact on mind...blah blah....
He became serious and the others started talking about how they started to do yoga and how it was affecting their life and the topic riverted to some other stuff and slowly people started going to their places to resume their work.
I thought I made an impact on Mike and was very happy about it. The next day I had to hurry to office without packing lunch as i got up late. So i was contemplating to go to the nearest Subway. I was telling the same to Paul when Mike comes out and very innocently tells me I dont have to grow very far for my food. I like a simpleton ask him, oh u mean there is someother place nearby?
He sniggers and tells me "Oh the whole frontend landscaped garden grass awaits you......."

1 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Blogger Dana Maldonado said...

Dear Gayu, you wrote on my blog on the butterfly effect, so I thought I might comment on yours. As an American, I had no idea why anyone would be a vegetarian, but after spending a month in India, I realized why being a vegetarian is so easy there. In India, vegetarian food tastes AMAZING!! Here in the states, it consists of vegetables and salad and pasta. That is IT!!! But in India, it is fantastic, palak paneer, aloo gobi, so flavorful and full of taste, that meat is not necessary! So, disregard everyone's comments, because it is just that they haven't been exposed to palatable vegetarian cuisine before

 

Post a Comment

<< Home