Wednesday, March 11, 2015

I am very much India's Daughter

Last week was a whirlwind of emotions to deal with. The country I grew up in, of which I am so proud of, Of the stories I am in love with, of the mythology I narrate to my son about and for the love of which I left US of A world ...is suddenly ALSO filled with such ugly minded people who have the nerve to tell that It happened so that the victim and her friend could be taught a lesson and that they would not hesitate to do so again if they find a girl who is out after 7 without her relatives about.

And hearing educated lawyers supporting them and appealing to higher court to relook at the decision handed over to the rapist has shocked me very much. In the ensuing week listening and reading much more of this has brought one thing to light..Whatever said and done there are some sections of people who very much believe that women can be raped if they are alone or if they brave to go out on their own. Somewhere handing out such justice to women makes them feel good and powerful. I would not say that its the mindset of Men only..its because of some of our women who support this.

Ok, these are brutes..killing them on spot, incapacitating them and mortally wounding them would suffice? Infact, when I read the interview of the rapist first last week, my first reaction was blood boiling intensity to kill him, to chop him to pieces..it was instantaneous but I was not appeased..Killing him does not give me the satisfaction. How many people can we kill?

Then my good friend told me its to do with education, upbringing etc..I agree to all those but still just punishing the guy alone does not suffice....I am not appeased. The lawyer was educated, it  did not change is thought process. Its deep rooted than this..Its the mindset. Mindset of what though? Mindset to allow women freedom? Allow women to go out after 7? What mindset should change?

I think what should change is the acceptance that Women can be better than Men and there is nothing wrong in saying it out aloud and believing in it. I am not saying always they are right or better..but when they are, everyone should acknowledge that and motivate them including other women. That would be the first step in changing the mindset of the nation.

So how would this change the rapist mindset..?? My perspective is that if he sees the women around him all strong and confident, unless he is sick he should not have the need to overpower them or teach them a lesson. They should be his equal and it should become the norm to work/lead life along with them rather than work for him or be lead by him.


Often when I meet successful women, my first thought was always( am ashamed of it), she must be having really great husband who supports this or her parents are liberal. What about the effort she herself puts to get there?? - That should change..

Right from childhood, girls are taught to put other's need before theirs, in some cases, their needs come after their brother's..That should change..Both daughter and son are equal..infact these days the daughters take good care of their parents than the son. ..Do the parents acknowledge that? 

We women have to stick together before looking at the men at large to change..Change needs to happen from within our women folks to embrace and anchor other women to come up in life..

And Yes we need to have stringent punishment meted out to rapists to put the fear of life on others who are even thinking of committing this crime..!!

And Yes we also need world peace!!
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home