Thursday, November 11, 2004

Diwali - 2004

This was my first deepavali celebration after marraige......Last year we were in transit moving houses, things and our life. Its strange to look back now and know that its been a year since you moved to a new place, sorroundings and made that into your home. We have new friends, new job, new everything. Somehow during the intial struggle of figuring out things you start to make your pattern in life....and suddenly you are living the life you were struggling to make...i'nt it interesting...

So this year deepavali, a long time away from my parents and my childhood friends, though was little home sicky but was independent. I got to make the decission of what sweet I wanted to make and what dress I wanted to wear.

The usual scene back home would be to wake up at 5:30 in the morning, amma would have hordes of work for me like cleaning the house and then she would make us sit in a specially arranged stool,(special coz there will be a kolam under it) and then give us the dreaded diwali legiyam.....got to swallow it in one gulp. To ease the taste amma gives a sweet which is usually okarai(one of my favorites) and then drench me in oil...(how I hate that......) .

Take a long oil bath and wear a set of old dresses before adorning the new ones. Amma explains it that if you wear new dresses on such a auspious day without wearing your older ones, the older ones would feel neglected and left out and they might curse us. So for formality sake wear an old nighty and then wear our new dress which are always expensive and gorgeous. Then parade the dress to all the neighbours, get their oooo's and aaaaaaa's. Then set about eating all the sweets and savouries, distribute it to everyone near by. Then starts the phone calls....."Ganga snanam acha"
There is always a competition between me and my friend Sudha, who takes bath first and gives a call to the other....its usually her who wins...coz by the time she calls me, i would have just woken up.
Calling up friends and relatives take the whole of morning. There are series of programs on TV by then. Got to choose which ones to watch in which channels......fight for the remote ensues...and then my brother would burst some crackers...help mom cook, eat a huge sumptuous meal and then pack some go over as a family to my aunts place where the whole family meets to celebrate Diwali together.

What a fun time we used to have with all my cousins!!!

This deepavali saw me preparing loads of sweets and savouries with the help of my other family friends. And i gave a small party to my American collegues on our sweets...P helped me a lot...She is an awesome cook...she made so many sweets for me that i might take a month to do justice to them!!

Evening will see me heading towards the temple adorned in the traditional sari, hopefully.....

Feel deadly tired...the weather is so lousy here and there is this guy sitting beside me always talking abt warewolves and vampires all the time....He thinks he is trying to scare me but he gets on my nerve all the time...

Chalo time to head home...

1 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if the ACLJ knows about this? I think I will send off a link to this article to Jay Sekulow. [url=http://www.2012canadagoosepascher.fr]Doudoune Canada Goose[/url] That noise is for chumps. 20th CenturyIn North America the swastika was used extensively. Grandma's 95! Le Cirque Home Opening Party Santa's Little Helper Tree Lighting at The Four Seasons Thanksgiving Weekend in Red Bluff More Thanksgiving Fun Thanksgiving with Francie! What a Weekend Happy Thanksgiving! A Picture of New Baby Heff Sunday Fun A Night at The Condo Keeping Tabs on Dad We Love Emmy Sleepovers at Sophie's Playdate at the Park Oma Opa Come for Dinner Off to Play with Cousin Emmy! Tea Time Saturday at Jannie and Grampa's Hanging Out at Jannie and Grampa's Francie's Best Friends Francie and her Chick-chicks Cletus Repeatus Faces of Francie A Baby Shower Francie Visits K-Bacs New House Dinner with the Hutchinsons Babies Day Out in San Francisco Saturday Night Dinner Francie Being Francie Girls Day Out Francie Babble Election Day Cleaning In the Rain Happy Birthday Em! Happy Halloween! Carving Pumpkins Francie's First Art Project Francie's Fall Day Safety First Happy Birthday Opa! Yummmm.
The album is an audio autobiography for one the most captivating rappers in the underground and blurs the lines between hip-hop and rock.. [url=http://www.icanadagooseca.com]canada goose chilliwack bomber[/url] Thus, it is an easy task to choose a trusted auto. [url=http://officialcanadagoosesoutlet.ca]canada goose parka sale[/url]
[url=http://flyballbags.com]canada goose toronto factory[/url] Well, that limited time is nearly up, after which BAMBI 2 will NEVER BE SEEN AGAIN! Just kidding we all know that Disney will trot it out again in a couple years when the release schedule has a hole in it, or when it's turn comes around in the Blu-ray Disc release schedule. [url=http://www.onlinebeatsbydreoutlet.com]beats by dre argos[/url]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home