Sunday, August 26, 2018

I lived my dream



I lived my dream…

Yes, really I lived my dream with my latest expedition to Valley of Flowers. It is very rare that we actually know what our dream is and work towards fulfilling it and then live it to experience the magic. I did that…and believe me when I say it was such an enriching and fulfilling experience to date.

I had this dream when I had just got my first job. I had money and time but no freedom. The only way I could see the world was through my beloved books. And then I read this book on Living with Himalayan Masters by Swami Rama. There was a description of Valley of Flowers and from then I had this secret wish and dream of being there and experiencing the joy of the smell, sight and experience the divine there. My dream had no form or plan, I did not know where it was, how to go, how much would it cost, would I be allowed. But I just stored it in my bucket list of things I will have to experience before I lose my sense.
Constantly I used to tell my dear friend of wanting to go there and my friend A said she too wanted to come. And from then on, I kept telling anyone who would want to hear in my family that A and me are going to Valley of Flowers. And then S, another friend joined after couple of years of this chant and then really we started noticing how to get there, how much does it cost, when do we go there. Once all these were planned and sorted out, it stuck me this is no joke. It needs me to be fit to do the trekking to climb the mountain to see the place. Lot of motivation and inspiration to walk and trek ad mists my myriad priorities that I have raked up for myself. I still knew I was no where fit enough to get there but my desire to see the place was greater push than I thought.
The day arrived and we made it to the base camp of Govindghat. We had a 10km trek to Ghangharia from where we had to trek to the valley of flowers  the next day. The earlier night was rife with adventure and late night but we were all ready for our trek to our next base. A and me were in full excitement and energy. We were singing all through the way. There were so many people en-route who stopped to listen to us, especially my bubbly friend A’s songs.
We somehow made it to the town of Ghangria by 6pm that day and the trek itself was tiring as it was raining incessantly, and we are fully soaked through with our small backpack and other things we were carrying. By the time we retired into our rooms, my only thought was how was I going to trek the next day to Valley of Flowers. I was totally exhausted, cold and aching all over. But still I kept repeating to myself, tomorrow my dream is going to come true. I will keep thinking of those blue, pink and white flowers all the fellow trekkers who had already been there kept telling us on the way. I slept thinking of only flowers and praying god to give me the strength to go on for next day’s trek.
The next day dawned, I woke up with a fear in the pit of my stomach, both for the trek as well as the doubt of what if the valley was not as I had dreamed of for the past 18 years. And then we started climbing. I have not seen so much traffic even in Bangalore. It’s a one way path and there were so many people trekking that there was absolutely no place to stop and rest. I had to take a breather break every 10 steps and I had to literally stand stuck to the mountain to give way to the other folks. The route to the valley of flowers was picturesque and so bright and positive that there was no way one would feel tired. It was like nature telling just someway up to see me at the very best. Somehow I reached the mouth of the valley where I could see loads of people taking pictures with the flowers. There was small wooden bridge dividing the valley of flowers and the mountain from which we were coming. There was a big stream flowing. From that vantage, I could really smell the fragrance of all the flowers. It was ethereal and was like in the book where Rama would lose his mind with just the fragrance from the VoF.
The perfume was not so strong, guess there were too many people about. But I smelled it. I was thrilled to pieces about it. I entered as my friend put it into the bouquet of flowers. All sides were  filled with pink and white flowers. It was so magical. A little pathway into it goes inside the valley to about 12 km inside.















But I was so tired and thrilled to have reached the tip that I felt all the bliss right there, right then. After assuaging my hunger pangs with whatever people handed over to me, I was ready to explore. My friend A went ahead to see water falls and I was left trailing behind. I took my time with each and every flower I met on the way and let the breeze flow through to me. I could hear myself singing yei kaha a gaye hum yoon sath sath chalke…It was so beautiful…The weather was so good at that time. I could see some blue flowers as well.
Our trek guide was telling us that this valley was also called Kaanan Van. And in my minds eye I could see little blue Krishna playing with Radha and other Gopis in between so many flowers. All those ISKON Krishna pictures came into my mind.
And then came the thought Lady, you have to go down still. Don’t you think you make the start otherwise you will be left behind. But then I don’t have to feel bad that I am delaying anyone as I can go down at my pace to reach the rooms at Ghangria.
But the trek down was one of the most difficult and painful time I had in the whole trip. I was already tired making the trip uphill and too much air and fanciful thinking had made me already light headed. I was swaying so much for each step I was keeping to get down. I don’t remember the pain or exhaustion now, but what I remember is I could not keep my balance. All the time I felt I was swaying and had no sense of balance. My friend A kept pace with me and her beautiful smile welcoming me every 10 steps got me going. In all the time, I remember I never prayed to all my gods..I had no thought in my brain, just climbing down and seeing As face. If she had gone lot further, I was going faster in search of her. The last few km, I could not find her. I felt alone and desolate. But then I saw her and another of my new friend waiting for me near the base of the mountain from where our rooms to Ghargria was another 1 km. I was so blessed and happy to see these two waiting for me. All is well in my world. I was not alone. I did it. I could share the nature with these two at that time. It was such a blessing!!


I LIVED AND EXPERIENCED MY DREAM!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home